Friday, May 22, 2009

Gift Me with a Break

Oy. Some time ago, I complained about the word "impact" being used as a verb. My mom, or "Grammar Grouch, Sr.", has told me it is a lost cause, that I will just have to bear it when someone says, "How does this impact the surrounding counties?" So I grit my teeth.

And in fairness, using "impact" as a verb does make sense. It replaces the phrase, "have an impact on", so it's more effficient.

Also, I sometimes think we should have some verbs that don't exist. For example, I think "smallen" should be coined to mean "to make [something] appear smaller." As in, "This giant bed smallens the room."

HOWEVER (I was going to say BUT, but nobody likes a big BUT), the use of "gift" as a verb has finally gotten to me. It has gotten stuck in my craw and I just can't take it anymore!

Why, oh, why on God's green earth, would a person say "gift" when he/she has the perfectly good verb "give"?????

That's right, I said it. Just use "give", for pity's sake!

"John gifted me with a new car."

"John gave me a new car."

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Straighten up, people!

Until next time, happy grammaring!
Susan K. Morrow

No comments: