Friday, March 27, 2009

An Apple, A Bird

Author's note: The following originally appeared in my old "Grammar Grouch" newsletter, dated 1/24/05. Sadly, this is still a major problem. I noticed it twice in the local paper yesterday. --skm


I am noticing an alarming number of "n's" being dropped from the article "an." I hope I don't have to tell you that,

if a word begins with a vowel (a, e, i, o, or u and sometimes h),
the article before it must be "an."


For example, John said, "I got a e-mail about a hour ago." No, this is just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Sigh.
My request for the New Year is that you help me to fix this strange and irritating problem.

Please, no more "a hour", "a email", "a ex-employee", "a idiot"! Enough already!

Many thanks and I remain
Your Grammar Grouch,

No comments: